Time for a new installment in our Communication Red Flags series! This time, let’s talk about the early elementary years.
Communication development in early elementary school (kindergarten through 2nd grade) is an exciting time! Starting school means that children learn to understand and manipulate language in a whole new way. Every day brings new things to learn and talk about, and this is also when we see children’s social circles start to take on a life of their own. Here are a few questions to think about if you know kids this age:
- How well are they able to follow complex, new instructions?
- Are they using language to talk about the relationships between people and things?
- Can you understand everything they say and does their speech have few (if any) sound errors?
- Are they able to understand and talk about different people and their perspectives?
- Are they using language to navigate their social world?
If you know a child struggling in any of these areas, contact us. We will help however we can, and refer you to other helpers if we’re not the right fit.
Click on the image or the link below for a free download of this resource, and check out our other Red Flags downloads here.